Wedding Websites are a must, especially for all of our clients who are coming to Vail/Aspen for their destination weddings. Having a good website will be super helpful for your guests, and will make your life a lot easier too! Here are my tips….
WHEN TO CREATE IT
After you choose your wedding date, select your venue, secure your room block, come up with times of your planned weekend events, take engagement photos, and set up your registry you will be ready to create your wedding website. I recommend sending the URL with the save the dates if you’re having an engagement party because your registry will be on the website, and your guests will want to see that. If you’re not having an engagement party, you can wait and send it with your invitations if you want.
HOW TO SET IT UP
There are 2 ways to do it….
The easiest way is to use a free site like Zola, The Knot, or Minted. All of these websites have tons of cute templates and are really easy to use. The only thing I don’t like about using a free site, is the domain won’t be completely custom… For example It will be theknot.com/sarahandjohnswedding or something like that….
If you want a custom domain, and a more professional looking website, I recommend using Wix or Square Space. What I don’t like about this option is it’s not free, and the websites are harder to create. They’re not terrible, I’m not a software developer, and I’ve made them myself with a little help from YouTube. There are also pros you can hire to do it for you.
No matter how you decide to set up the website, you’ll want to make sure your fonts, style, colors, etc.. coordinate well with your save the dates and invitations, so it looks well planned and put together.
WHAT TO INCLUDE
All the information you would like your guests to know. Ask yourself, if I were a guests, what would I want to see on the website?…. Usually includes…
- The Story of how you met your fiance
- Wedding Weekend Events ( time, location, attire transportation details for rehearsal dinner, ceremony, reception, brunch, etc…..)
- Travel and Lodging Information ( airport options to fly into, airport transportation options, room block options that you have set up, other hotel recommendations.)
- Your Registry
- Your Proposal Story if you want to include it. We’re also proposal planners, and we always get our proposals published, so the couple can link their proposal story to their website!
- Recommendations for Things to Do around Town and Any Other Recommendations that might be helpful, like babysitters
- A Place to RSVP, I still recommend sending physical RSVP cards with your invitations, but it’s nice to have a place to rsvp on the website too because why not?
- Pictures of you and your fiance for all around the website, and you can add a gallery if you want.
- Your Wedding Planner’s contact info in case anyone has any questions
If you would like to see an example of really great wedding website, check out my video…